Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Politainment: Hillary Soprano should sound an alarm

I think Hillary Clinton looked electable. I think she was very down to earth and really human.

No don’t try to adjust your browser. This is still the RR doling out truth here. I am not suffering from a head injury or any other loss of my faculties. I am talking about the brilliant piece of Campaign media that Hillary 08 campaign put out the other day. Hillary’s Soprano spoof with Bill’s cameo. It was fantastic. They did something that none of the other candidates, (save one) could do. They took a pop culture event, the Sopranos finale, and made it an endearing show of how Hillary and Bill are just two normal people. They used the new media machine to reach a whole new audience.

I know it was Hillary and Bill re-enacting the final scene from the finale of Sopranos. I know it was heavily produced and planned. The real triumph here was that they were making fun of themselves a little bit, trying to be funny and most importantly, gave people a chance/reason to like them.

They really took advantage of the youtube phenomena with this. A lot of people saw it. If the Hillary 08 team has more of these little vignettes in the hopper, they can be guaranteed some new voters and some old ones to at least take a look at what Hillary has to say. This should sound the alarm to the Dems and GOP that they better be prepared to respond in kind or be left behind by the Hillary machine.

I couldn’t help think how disappointed viewers were with the end of the Sopranos finale. Bill and Hill took a risk with this spoof and I think it paid off. I believe that they learned this lesson from W. They learned that self-deprecation is good, in small funny doses, for a president to do. Just look at the funny little videos W has put out over the years.

Just to make you feel better, the other candidate that can jump into this type of new media battle is evident here in his response to Michael Moore. Fred can play this politainment game too. Hey, I like that word I just made up. Politainment – the use of entertainment to reach/attain a political objective. Well then, if Hillary and Fred are the nominees, we will have our fill of politainment for the next 18 months.

One last thing, I thought the carrot sticks for Bill were a nice touch too.

Stay tuned,

RR

No comments: